[Emc-users] Running LinuxCnc without Mesa cards
Marius Liebenberg
2013-03-02 08:13:08 UTC
I need to do a lot of changes to a customer's system that has 5i23 and
other cards installed. I dont have a similar installation to work on so
my question is, is there a way to run LinuxCnc or just start it up
without functionality, without having the 5i23 installed. Something like
a dummy component. I need to make sure all the HAL connections are made
and are to the right pins. Once that is done I can take the files to
their system and test.
--
Regards / Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
MasterCut cc
Cel: +27 82 698 3251
Tel: +27 12 743 6064
Fax: +27 86 551 8029
Skype: marius_d.liebenberg
Skype Me^(TM)! <skype:marius_d.liebenberg?call>
Get Skype <http://www.skype.com/go/download> and call me for free.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 130301-1, 2013/03/01
Tested on: 2013/03/02 10:13:09 AM
Anders Wallin
2013-03-02 10:27:41 UTC
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Marius Liebenberg
Post by Marius Liebenberg
Hi,
I need to do a lot of changes to a customer's system that has 5i23 and
other cards installed. I dont have a similar installation to work on so
my question is, is there a way to run LinuxCnc or just start it up
without functionality, without having the 5i23 installed. Something like
a dummy component. I need to make sure all the HAL connections are made
and are to the right pins. Once that is done I can take the files to
their system and test.
No, AFAIK.

A build-option where the HAL driver could be built in a "simulator" mode
would be nice.
All the HAL-pins would be exposed and available for monitoring, but no real
hardware would be required.

AW
Michael Haberler
2013-03-02 10:41:41 UTC
Post by Anders Wallin
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Marius Liebenberg
Post by Marius Liebenberg
Hi,
I need to do a lot of changes to a customer's system that has 5i23 and
other cards installed. I dont have a similar installation to work on so
my question is, is there a way to run LinuxCnc or just start it up
without functionality, without having the 5i23 installed. Something like
a dummy component. I need to make sure all the HAL connections are made
and are to the right pins. Once that is done I can take the files to
their system and test.
No, AFAIK.
A build-option where the HAL driver could be built in a "simulator" mode
would be nice.
All the HAL-pins would be exposed and available for monitoring, but no real
hardware would be required.
just emulating the pins with say a Python userland HAL component would be easy

that wouldnt help beyond loading though since the behaviour would have to be emulated too or it would be of rather limited use - the first dependency on an output pin having some non-default value would stop the simulation in its tracks

That problem has a $153 solution - which you'd want to put into proportion to the cost of writing a simulator including behavior

-m
Post by Anders Wallin
AW
Marius Liebenberg
2013-03-02 11:50:52 UTC
Hi Micheal,
I hear you. The problem is that I have to keep a machine just for that
hardware. Also it has more than one 5i23. I suppose I will have to do
that anyway. The 5i23's will end up being used somewhere so it all
starts again :)
Post by Michael Haberler
Post by Anders Wallin
On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Marius Liebenberg
Post by Marius Liebenberg
Hi,
[...]
Post by Anders Wallin
AW
Regards / Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
MasterCut cc
Cel: +27 82 698 3251
Tel: +27 12 743 6064
Fax: +27 86 551 8029
Skype: marius_d.liebenberg
Skype Me^(TM)! <skype:marius_d.liebenberg?call>
Get Skype <http://www.skype.com/go/download> and call me for free.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 130302-0, 2013/03/02
Tested on: 2013/03/02 01:50:54 PM