[Emc-users] Multi-spindle machines
andy pugh
2016-05-24 20:59:03 UTC
Has anyone here ever wanted multi-spindle support in LinuxCNC?
What is the use-case? What does multi-spindle G-code look like?
--
atp
lunatics."
John Thornton
2016-05-24 21:07:35 UTC
I've seen some talk about multi-spindle routers and I'm fixing to start
working on one. The main thing is being able to turn the spindles off
and on as needed. The last one I did I used digital out IIRC.

JT
Nicklas Karlsson
2016-05-24 21:16:14 UTC
I have seen old multi spindle for sale cheap but not been able to figure any good use for it. I have suspected there have been good sales person.

On another occasion I could see CNC machine sold "not used since bought from seller"

andy pugh
2016-05-24 21:41:14 UTC
Post by Nicklas Karlsson
I have seen old multi spindle for sale cheap but not been able to figure any good use for it.
Just to be clear, I am not talking about multi-spindle screw-machines
here. Those are cool, but not relevant.
Those machines typically do one operation per spindle while rotating
each spindle past each station, with all the spindles turning at the
same speed. (so several operations happen in parallel on several
workpieces)

I am talking about CNC machines (if there are any) with multiple
independently controlled spindles.
--
atp
lunatics."
andy pugh
2016-05-24 21:19:35 UTC
Post by John Thornton
I've seen some talk about multi-spindle routers and I'm fixing to start
working on one. The main thing is being able to turn the spindles off
and on as needed.
Would you need different speeds on different spindles? I rather
suspect not, in the multi-head router case.
--
atp
lunatics."
John Thornton
2016-05-24 21:42:46 UTC
In my case no as only one spindle is being used at a time. I assume for
multi-spindle routers where they are making several copies of the same
part that one speed for all is OK.

JT
Gene Heskett
2016-05-24 22:00:09 UTC
Post by John Thornton
In my case no as only one spindle is being used at a time. I assume
for multi-spindle routers where they are making several copies of the
same part that one speed for all is OK.
JT
I have such a multiple copy machine about 30 miles away, It bores the
rectangular holes in oak fence posts for split rail fencing, which I
have about 150 feet of here. In 2, or 3 plunges depending on a 2 rail
or 3 rail fence, it bores the rail holes in ten posts at a time. Then
the green oak goes into the treatment tank. About 4 seconds per 10 holes
in 10 posts. Takes a lot longer than that to unload the posts and put
fresh ones in. With enough spindle power that a visibly badly worn tool
doesn't do anything but make the splinters in the edges of the holes
worse. The tapered end of the split rail doesn't care.
Post by John Thornton
Post by andy pugh
Post by John Thornton
I've seen some talk about multi-spindle routers and I'm fixing to
start working on one. The main thing is being able to turn the
spindles off and on as needed.
Would you need different speeds on different spindles? I rather
suspect not, in the multi-head router case.
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Ralph Stirling
2016-05-24 22:24:58 UTC
I would enjoy, given the opportunity, attempting to set up LCNC on
a turning center with a main spindle, subspindle, and multiple turrets.
These are very efficient machines for making turned parts (and
generally have live tooling as well). I believe one typical way of
controlling these is with a separate G-code program for each turret,
with interlock M-codes to synchronize when doing things like pinch
turning. With an upper turret and a lower turret, either turret can
work on either spindle, but you have to decide which operations
will be performed by which turret. So in the CAM software you
drag your operations around to try to balance the machining time
for each turret, and get the syncs correct so you grab your part
with the subspindle before you cut it off, then move it off and
machine the back side with one turret while starting on the face
of the next part with the other turret.

Don't know which kind of multispindle machine you were thinking of...

-- Ralph

andy pugh
2016-05-24 22:50:42 UTC
Post by Ralph Stirling
Don't know which kind of multispindle machine you were thinking of...
I was thinking in general terms
--
atp
lunatics."
Dave Caroline
2016-05-24 23:36:13 UTC
Polygon turning

multi spindle cnc

sliding head with a back spindle

and for the greedy multi spindle milling

Dave Caroline
Eric Keller
2016-05-25 01:29:05 UTC
we have a "lathe" at work that has a spindle that uses "S" codes and a
rotary "C" axis. The rotary axis often is used as a spindle. The
spindle feeds on Z and the C axis is mounted on X. But I suppose
that's not what you are asking about.
Todd Zuercher
2016-05-25 01:42:54 UTC
We several multi spindle wood carving routers already running Linuxcnc. It was not hard to set up a little hal logic to enable/disable the spndle(s) you want to use. I set up a few custom M-codes, for it. Works like a charm.

Big heavy duty multi spindle woodworking machines used to be much more common, before multitool tool changers caught on. In the 1980s and early 90s these machines would often be set up with 4 or more spindles and usually used individually like a tool changer. But with the potential for parallel operation as well. A quick google search will turn up quite a few old Heian, Shoda, Komo, or Northwood machines for sale of that vintage. We have an old Heian built this way in 1984, that originally had 5 spindles over a 4x8ft table Only 3 remain). It is quite the beast of a machine and is where I go to hide during a tornado warning. These sort of machines have fallen out of favor of late, mostly because they are big, heavy, slow, and very expensive to build, but they can make excellent cuts, and are nearly indestructible.

Gregg Eshelman
2016-05-25 06:33:00 UTC
Old multi-spindle mills were used to cut multiple identical copies, usually with a hydraulic tracer running on a pattern. For that kind of use the code wouldn't need to be any different. Just load your 2+ workpieces then run the machine.
Another multi spindle machine that was used before CNC was the multi station pantograph. It had a large turntable in the middle with several stations where work pieces could be loaded. At each position around the edge was a pantograph arm with a milling spindle and a pattern to trace, or another thing like a drilling spindle if only a single hole had to be drilled at that step. The operator would remove the finished item then load in a new blank and hit the advance button. I suspect that at the "speed" hydraulic tracers could hit, one operator could service three or four such machines.
Such an amazing array of mechanically complicated machines made obsolete by the first numeric controlled single spindle milling machine with an automatic tool changer. Imagine doing a full CNC conversion of a K&T 2D mill... pretty pointless because the offset spindle rotation capability of the 2D can be copied by CNC movement of the table.

andy pugh
2016-06-20 22:50:25 UTC
I have created a new feature-branch that supports up to 8 spindles.
Spindle-synched moves such as threading and feed-per-rev can be
synched with any spindle.

The readme file for a sample config in the feature branch is here;
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/andypugh/JA14_multispindle/configs/sim/axis/lathe_multispindle
--
atp
lunatics."