[Emc-users] CoreXY Kins and the BeagleBoneBlack with MachineKit
Joe Spanier
2014-01-23 18:59:42 UTC
Hey Guys,
Im working on building a 3D printer using a CoreXY kinematic setup and was wanting to use the BeagleBoneBlack and the PBX-BB Cape to control it and using the latest version of MachineKit that was released at the end of Dec. In my Google searching I've found support is slim, and most of the posts point me back to this http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/38-general-linuxcnc-questions/26302-cnc-avec-systeme-h-bot-ou-corexy discussion on the community forum.

When I try to follow Andy's instructions inputting the instructions to activate it I get the following:
sudo comp --install core_xy_kins.c - sudo comp command not found
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev - linuxcnc-dev not found

(I also found that google translate ruins code haha)

So where I'm at now, is I cant seem to install linuxcnc-dev, and there is nothing in my sources for linuxcnc. I dont want to add anything and break MachineKit either. I haven't dove in super deep into how its built so Im not sure what all I can mess with.--
Thanks,
Joe Spanier

           "No Trees were harmed in the sending of this email, but a great number or electrons were terribly inconvenienced"
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-23 23:56:02 UTC
[...]
There's no need to install linuxcnc-dev. The version of linuxcnc
already on the MachineKit image is a full development version setup to
run in place (RIP). You should be be able to simply download the new
kinematics C file and build it. I don't think you need to use sudo,
since the Xenomai build of LinuxCNC uses user-mode real-time threads.

Just drop to a command line and run the comp command.

If that doesn't get you un-stuck, post again and I'll see if I can't
reproduce your error(s) and come up with a fix.
--
Charles Steinkuehler
***@steinkuehler.net
Joe Spanier
2014-01-24 04:53:00 UTC
Ok Got that figured out. Turns out my first issue was the core_xy_kins.c file was empty, so that wasnt helping anything. But I had to drop sudo as well.

I was able to get it compiled and I can start my config with core_xy_kins in my HAL. But it doesnt seem to change anything.  Moving in the x only moves the X motor, same for y.

Is there something I will have to hook together in my net pins? Im guessing it would be similar to slaving two axes together like in gantrykins?

Again thank you for the help.

Joe

***@steinkuehler.net
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-24 11:02:56 UTC
Post by Joe Spanier
Ok Got that figured out. Turns out my first issue was the
core_xy_kins.c file was empty, so that wasnt helping anything. But I
had to drop sudo as well.
I was able to get it compiled and I can start my config with
core_xy_kins in my HAL. But it doesnt seem to change anything.
Moving in the x only moves the X motor, same for y.
Is there something I will have to hook together in my net pins? Im
guessing it would be similar to slaving two axes together like in
gantrykins?
Again thank you for the help.
When you start LinuxCNC with non-trivial kinematics, you're in joint
mode by default, where you move each joint independently for homing.

Once you've homed all the joints, switch to world mode and X/Y/Z jogs
should work as expected going through the kinematics module.
--
Charles Steinkuehler
***@steinkuehler.net
Joe Spanier

***@steinkuehler.net
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-24 16:05:20 UTC
If your motors turn properly, but kinematics isn't doing it's thing, it
sounds like it's time to post your configuration to the list.

What sort of machine is this anyway? I only briefly reviewed the
foreign language links you provided...partly because I can't read the
text, and partly because I hate forums. ;-)
***@steinkuehler.net
Joe Spanier
2014-01-24 20:09:59 UTC
Here is my config. At this point its still the same config that Probotix supplys with the exception of changing to from trivkins to core_xy_kins.

A CoreXY or Hbot machine works on the same principle, driving the X and Y axis from the same belt that is routed along the lengths of the axes. Its all explained here, http://corexy.com/theory.html. In this setup to move in say X both Motors will have to move together, in the same direction. If you are driving to a 45deg angle, one motor moves. So somehow I have to connect the x&y motors to deal with this. I imagine it would work similarly to how a delta bot is configured.

I just attached the config. If I need to post it in plain text just let me know.

***@steinkuehler.net
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-24 22:34:55 UTC
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought the machine was like, but I
wasn't sure.

Can you also provide the actual kinematics file you're using? I'll
compile it and see if I can and get it to work or fail with the same
issues you're seeing.
***@steinkuehler.net
Joe Spanier

***@steinkuehler.net