[Emc-users] Way OT: Cannot see Workgroup Computers
Rick Lair
2016-03-28 13:47:57 UTC
In know this is way off topic, but if anybody would possibly know, I'm
sure they are floating around here somewhere,

We have a small network here at the shop, roughly a dozen PC's and 4
CNC's ( my linuxcnc builds) that are all networked together, using a
workgroup type setup, not a domain. Most of the time everything works
fine, but randomly ( right now) when you try to look at one of the other
workgroup computers, there is nothing there. On my wheezy machine I
clicked on the "Network" selection, and then clicked on the "Windows
Network" link, and there is nothing there. So I went back to XP machine,
and went and clicked "View Workgroup Computers", and a popup box comes
up after about 10 seconds that says " The list of servers for this
workgroup is currently unavailable". On both machines, I can access the
internet just fine, I pinged the wheezy machine from my XP machine, and
everything looks fine there, so what could possibly cause it not
see/display the other PC's in the network managers of either machine?
--
Thanks

Rick Lair
Superior Roll & Turning LLC
399 East Center Street
Petersburg MI, 49270
PH: 734-279-1831
FAX: 734-279-1166
www.superiorroll.com
Gregg Eshelman
2016-03-29 00:14:12 UTC
Are you manually assigning IPs or are you using DHCP?
There must be only one active source for DHCP on a LAN. You can use more but only if each one is serving IPs for different private IP address ranges. A DHCP source must be always on, or be turned on and ready before the systems it's assigning IPs to are turned on. So if your router is the DHCP source and you turn it off, your computers, printers etc can lose track of one another.
Another method of not manually assigning IPs on each individual computer or other devices is with a BOOTP server. From a central source you can assign IP addresses to MAC addresses. 'Course you then need a BOOTP server process running on an anways or first on computer, or a router/modem with BOOTP capability - and you get to type in a bunch of MAC addresses.
For my little LAN I manually set the printer's IP addresses but let the internet router use DHCP to assign IPs to the computers since I'm not currently doing any file sharing among them.
I also set the printers to high numbered addresses like 192.168.0.186 and 192.168.0.192 so that the DHCP won't do stupid things like assigning a computer the same IP as a printer. It starts at 192.168.0.2 and increments the last number up from there.
In my experience with Windows and networking (going back to version 3.0), Windows has an issue with forgetting where printers are when they have dynamically assigned IP addresses. Newer versions of Windows have a "dynamic" network printer option that's supposed to get around that but I haven't tried it. Setting a fixed IP and installing drivers for each printer on each computer works and stays working because it's not allowed to be altered by the whims of software.

Erik Friesen
John Thornton

Rick Lair
2016-03-29 15:21:05 UTC
Late yesterday I rebooted the router and everything came back, but then
I blew the connection to the accountants Quickbooks files on the server,
fixed one problem, created another that took an hour to fix this
morning, go figure,,

Thanks Guys

www.superiorroll.com
Gene Heskett
2016-03-29 16:00:01 UTC
Post by Rick Lair
[...]
Rick, I can't help since you're using a windows mix. If you were a pure
linux house, sshfs is the bee's knee's. Once setup by installing the
sshfs bits, making a root of the tree /sshnet directory, and generating
and exchanging the ssh keys, its as simple as this 3 liner in
my /etc/rc.local.

su gene -c "sshfs ***@shop:/ /sshnet/shop"
su gene -c "sshfs ***@lathe:/ /sshnet/lathe"
su gene -c "sshfs ***@GO704:/ /sshnet/GO704"

And anything I have user rights to is 100% available to me here on this
machine. If I need root to do something, its as close as sudo. In fact,
my sim install here, uses the /sshnet/GO704/home/gene/linuxcnc/nc_files
directory as its nc_files directory, so I can edit from here, a file on
that machine and then go run it. That link does NOT go away if I reboot
one of those machines, or this one. No samba|cifs|nfs finickiness, it
Just Works(TM).

I might add that because of the keys exchange, I am known instantly on
those machines without having to enter my user pw, a simple
"ssh -Y shop"
And I am logged into my home dir on the machine that runs the toy mill.

Whats not to like?

I outlawed winders on my property when I was still using an Amiga as my
work machine. That was in the 90's. But I've been pure linux since
about 1999 here. I don't miss the licensing headache called windows a
bit.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Rick Lair
2016-03-29 16:52:37 UTC
Command line work in the shop would never happen, I'm pretty sure they
would tell me to get F$%*ed, and go sit in the break room ;)

The router issue wasn't a big deal, I was leery from the start due to
the quickbooks issue, I didn't want to reboot the router because I know
it kicks her out of her session, luckily she had to leave early
yesterday so I did the reboot, and it still gave us hell this morning. I
was just looking for an alternative to powering down the router was all.

Rick