[Emc-users] Computer Boards?
Todd Zuercher
2012-07-18 15:04:42 UTC
So what is the latest and greatest MB to use with LinuxCNC?

It seems the D525 is starting to get to be a little harder to find.

Anyone have any luck with something like this?

Intel BOXD2700MUD Intel Atom D2700 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813121596>

Todd Zuercher

P. Graham Dunn Inc. <http://www.pgrahamdunn.com/index.php>

630 Henry Street

Dalton, Ohio 44618

Phone: (330)828-2105ext. 2031
--
P. Graham Dunn
Phone: 330-828-2105
www.pgrahamdunn.com
Lester Caine
2012-07-18 17:48:50 UTC
Post by Todd Zuercher
Anyone have any luck with something like this?
Intel BOXD2700MUD Intel Atom D2700 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813121596>
It's the same chipset as the DN2800MT and the D2500HN, so no Linux driver
support, and seems to be questionable to installing XP. The whole family has
been designed specifically for Windows7 ... nothing else is currently ACTUALLY
available drivers wise.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Todd Zuercher
2012-07-18 18:25:09 UTC
So what is a better option?

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618
Phone: (330)828-2105ext. 2031
--
P. Graham Dunn
Phone: 330-828-2105
Lester Caine
2012-07-18 22:02:43 UTC
Post by Todd Zuercher
So what is a better option?
AT the moment the boards I WOULD have bought are on a long leadtime here.
Getting boards that are flexible is getting as difficult as ones with parallel
ports. Intel does seem to be following the M$ line and making all new product
targeted for this new 'secure boot' stuff or simply not providing any legacy
drivers :(

I was going to say that the DG945GCLF is still available however it seems that
there is no real stock, and the 'replacement' D425 series have the same problem
graphics which where the minefield is slowly growing.

I think it is getting to the point where we could do with a 'compatibility
list'. Even the Via boards I've been looking through have problems these days.
No parallel port being more common, that and $250 price tags :( I've used the
CN13000 in the past but seems to be attracting silly pricing as well.

So has anybody actually got any currently available options in the ITX board area?
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Jon Elson
2012-07-19 02:55:05 UTC
Post by Todd Zuercher
So what is a better option?
Directron and newegg show the D525MW box in stock.

Jon
Viesturs Lācis
2012-07-19 04:59:38 UTC
Post by Lester Caine
I was going to say that the DG945GCLF is still available however it seems that
there is no real stock, and the 'replacement' D425 series have the same problem
graphics which where the minefield is slowly growing.
AFAIK D425 and D525 is the same, just that first one has single core,
the second has dual core cpu.
And D525 is working just fine for me in 4 machines (and so many more
for other users), so I cannot agree to the comment about D425 series.
--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto
Lester Caine
2012-07-19 06:49:33 UTC
Post by Lester Caine
there is no real stock, and the 'replacement' D425 series have the same problem
graphics which where the minefield is slowly growing.
AFAIK D425 and D525 is the same, just that first one has single core,
the second has dual core cpu.
And D525 is working just fine for me in 4 machines (and so many more
for other users), so I cannot agree to the comment about D425 series.
The 'problem' is with the graphics 'chipset' used.
But Intel do not even specify which one is fitted to the D525MW on the website,
it just says VGA port.
Interestingly cdv-gfx-drivers-1.0.1_bee.tar.bz2 has appeared against some boards
but most still list no Linux drivers for the CedarTrail graphics.

The 1.0.1 drive says ...
== Version 1.0.1 Product Release ==

June 7, 2012 (WW23)

* This is an ''internal release'' only. Should this package be exposed
externally, the exposing entity would need to ensure all proper procedures
have been followed and legal obligations met.

Now I now the right questions ... this has popped up and looks useful
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
andy pugh
2012-07-19 09:53:45 UTC
Post by Lester Caine
The 'problem' is with the graphics 'chipset' used.
My DN2800 works absolutely fine at 1024 x 768 out of the VGA port.
I do only get the options of 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 but I don't
know whether this is because the only thing I have plugged it into is
my TV and that may not be very good at decaring capabilities. . (I
don't have a houseful of spare monitors, and my main machine is an
all-in-one Mac)

I think that the DN2800 will be perfectly adequate with the screen
sizes typical of CNC controllers.
--
atp
Lester Caine
2012-07-19 12:47:53 UTC
Post by andy pugh
Post by Lester Caine
The 'problem' is with the graphics 'chipset' used.
My DN2800 works absolutely fine at 1024 x 768 out of the VGA port.
I do only get the options of 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 but I don't
know whether this is because the only thing I have plugged it into is
my TV and that may not be very good at decaring capabilities. . (I
don't have a houseful of spare monitors, and my main machine is an
all-in-one Mac)
I think that the DN2800 will be perfectly adequate with the screen
sizes typical of CNC controllers.
You may have hit the nail on the head ... thanks.
Just hooked up to a distribution amp so that the monitor status does not get
read, and things are a lot more stable! SO as long as Linux is not trying to
configure itself monitor wise then it falls back better to VESA mode. However
this is not really a practical situation to be in? Having to bodge a monitor to
work with a motherboard? Perhaps I need to market a 'dumb monitor adapter' just
for this situation.

I don't know why I did not pick that up, since I have the reverse problem on the
KVM. I can't get high res modes unless a plug the monitors in direct and plug
back into the KVM when the computers are up and running :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Todd Zuercher
2012-07-19 12:50:12 UTC
Well if these Cedar trail boards work fine with plain VGA at resolutions
up to 1024x768, I am fine with that. (That's all I was going to use
anyway.)
How is the latency on your DN2800?
We have already ordered a BOXD2700MUD from Newegg. I'm going on
vacation for a week and the new stuff should be here by the time I get
back. Once I have had some time to play with it I will let everyone
know how it works out.

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618
Phone: (330)828-2105ext. 2031
--
P. Graham Dunn
Phone: 330-828-2105

Eric Keller
2012-07-19 12:32:41 UTC
Post by Lester Caine
Now I now the right questions ... this has popped up and looks useful
Didn't read the whole thread, but it looks like the solution requires a
fairly recent kernel. This gets you into building a real-time kernel. Not
sure how that will work out
Eric
Lester Caine
2012-07-19 13:36:38 UTC
Post by Lester Caine
Didn't read the whole thread, but it looks like the solution requires a
fairly recent kernel. This gets you into building a real-time kernel. Not
sure how that will work out
If ALL I want to run on the ITX boards was LinuxCNC, then things may be a little
easier, but the DN2800MT was BOUGHT to run XBMC via HDMI into my tele. Bottom
line on that ... no way it's going to work any time soon ... HDMI connector is
only available with audio in Windows 7.

This does seem to be a case of the 'cleaver configuration' stuff falling flat on
it's face when it has nothing to configure to. 'NOMODESET' does not even seem to
stop it trying to reconfigure ... just tried that once I'd got the D2500HN
configured for 1024x768 VESA. Plugged the monitor in direct but it still
switches graphics modes.
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Eric Keller
2012-07-19 14:58:00 UTC
Post by Lester Caine
If ALL I want to run on the ITX boards was LinuxCNC, then things may be a little
easier, but the DN2800MT was BOUGHT to run XBMC via HDMI into my tele. Bottom
line on that ... no way it's going to work any time soon ... HDMI connector is
only available with audio in Windows 7.
I have found that the A/V folks can be just as knowledgeable about linux as
those on this list and it would actually be on topic over there as opposed
to confusing the issue as to the suitability of these boards for LinuxCNC.
I know this conversation has confused me a little about that.
Eric
Lester Caine
2012-07-19 16:38:56 UTC
Post by Eric Keller
Post by Lester Caine
If ALL I want to run on the ITX boards was LinuxCNC, then things may be a little
easier, but the DN2800MT was BOUGHT to run XBMC via HDMI into my tele. Bottom
line on that ... no way it's going to work any time soon ... HDMI connector is
only available with audio in Windows 7.
I have found that the A/V folks can be just as knowledgeable about linux as
those on this list and it would actually be on topic over there as opposed
to confusing the issue as to the suitability of these boards for LinuxCNC.
I know this conversation has confused me a little about that.
Current state of play ...

D2500HN board is configured with a dodge cable so it does not detect the monitor
resolution. I have a newly downloaded and burnt Live disk just to eliminate
that, and I have it running in live mode. I need another hard disk to install
onto as the disk is currently configured for W7/Mach3 for a customer.

The test bed has a pair of 1920x1200 24" monitors and booting with one of these
plugged in gives a graphics mode that can't be displayed and you can't do
anything. I've hooked it up with the 17" monitor on the target Denford Orac with
a similar result, but as long as the monitor is not auto-detected, it has come
up in 1280x1024 and is currently working.

Being a long time SUSE user/developer, I am more used to that. It will not work
at all on the board, but I have yet to try the 'dumb monitor' trick again. There
are not enough hours in the day to try everything out when what you expect to
work just fails. Now of cause I have to work out how my normal activity maps to
Ubuntu functions ...
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
Jon Elson