BDI-4.23 released
paul_c
2005-08-29 13:51:07 UTC
BDI-4.23 released. Built almost entirely from Debian's stable branch (code
named Sarge), this represents the culmination of several years of development
starting with the original BDI-2.04.

Notable package updates.
KDE updated from 3.2 to 3.3
GTK2+ development libraries added (to support emc2 development)
subversion (svn) included
BASIC and forth interpreters
tcl8.4 and tk8.4 upgraded to 8.4.11 with threads disabled (Fixes problems
with resources not being release, as reported by mr_sallen).
libc6 upgraded to 2.3.5 (Cures random freezing of the GUI).
axis built from CVS snapshot of 25th Aug. 2005
Kernel pre-patched with RTAI and compiled for a generic i586 processor.

EMC bug fixes:
High speed blending in the trajectory planner.
ppmc drivers reflect latest changes in SF - ppmcbridgeportio included.
Assorted error checks in the interpreter improved.

With nearly 16,000 packages in the various sections of Debian, and many
thousands more in repositories around the world, the BDI-4.23 CD can only
include a very small selection.

Check the mirrors listed at:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?BrainDeadInstall
http://www.linuxcnc.org/bdi/iso.html

Regards, Paul.
David A. Frantz
2005-08-29 23:07:05 UTC
Thanks Paul!

Now all I have to do is to get this to download over my dial up conection ;)

When I do I will check this version agianst some problematic PC's that I
have. Hopeully thgings will go well.

Thanks
Dave
markwayne
2005-08-30 03:27:41 UTC
Dittos here. If you ever come to this neck of the woods I'll buy you a pint or twelve.

Although I just downloaded and installed 4.20 over the weekend finally. I will upgrade in a day or so before I start any thing serious. One thing I am using EMC for lately is to check programs at home before I try to run them on the HAAS saves mucho time.

Mark

Andy Holcomb
2005-08-31 07:54:37 UTC
I sorry Paul, I am getting a Kernal Panic, Interrupt handler not syncing

Where should I go from here?

The computer is I think a 400 mhz PII? Intel

Andy
paul_c
2005-08-31 10:10:27 UTC
Hi Andy
Post by Andy Holcomb
I sorry Paul, I am getting a Kernal Panic, Interrupt handler not syncing
During install, on booting the installed system, when attempting to run EMC ??
Did an earlier BDI-4 install run on this box, if so, which version ?
Did the md5sum of the download check out ?
Post by Andy Holcomb
Where should I go from here?
What boot options have you tried ?
The installer already appends noapic to the boot options, it may be using some
of the others may help. Try booting with:

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off
Post by Andy Holcomb
The computer is I think a 400 mhz PII?  Intel
Should be fine unless you have the misfortune to have one of the few buggy
chipsets that the kernel team bitch about in their source comments.

Regards, Paul.
Andy Holcomb
2005-08-31 17:08:45 UTC
Post by paul_c
Hi Andy
Post by Andy Holcomb
I sorry Paul, I am getting a Kernal Panic, Interrupt handler not syncing
If you need more detail on the error I can get it for you
Post by paul_c
During install, on booting the installed system, when attempting to run EMC ??
? I had the cd in the drive, I press enter when the option comes up and
I never get to any of the install screens.
Post by paul_c
Did an earlier BDI-4 install run on this box, if so, which version ?
All that I have written on the disks is TNG disk 1 and 2
Post by paul_c
Did the md5sum of the download check out ?
Explain more please, how do I check this?
Post by paul_c
Post by Andy Holcomb
Where should I go from here?
What boot options have you tried ?
? Boot from cd, text install and gui install
Post by paul_c
The installer already appends noapic to the boot options, it may be using some
linux noapic nolapic acpi=off
Please explain more
Post by paul_c
Post by Andy Holcomb
The computer is I think a 400 mhz PII? Intel
Should be fine unless you have the misfortune to have one of the few buggy
chipsets that the kernel team bitch about in their source comments.
I pulled out all of my cards and even changed the video card too.

Andy
Post by paul_c
Regards, Paul.
paul_c
2005-08-31 17:55:27 UTC
Hi Andy
Post by Andy Holcomb
Post by paul_c
Did an earlier BDI-4 install run on this box, if so, which version ?
All that I have written on the disks is TNG disk 1 and 2
I no longer do anything with TNG - All development has shifted to BDI-4.xx.

Regards, Paul.
Andy Holcomb

paul_c
2005-08-31 19:44:51 UTC
Hi Andy
Post by Andy Holcomb
Post by paul_c
Did an earlier BDI-4 install run on this box, if so, which version ?
All that I have written on the disks is TNG disk 1 and 2
Sorry, missread your last response... The BDI-4.23 install should repartition
and format the drive(s) if you select that particular option. As to why the
CD is not booting for you, I can only guess.. May be the ISO was corrupted on
download, or you had a buffer under-run on burning the disk.. I would suggest
checking the md5sum on the downloaded ISO, if that checks out, burn another
cd at, say 4x speed.

Regards, Paul.
Stephen Wille Padnos
2005-08-31 20:38:46 UTC
Post by Andy Holcomb
Post by paul_c
Did the md5sum of the download check out ?
Explain more please, how do I check this?
You need to download the md5sum file ( bdi-4.23.md5 ) - preferably to
the same directory where you downloaded the ISO.

Then run the following command:
md5sum -c bdi-4.23.md5
This will take a little time on your machine (in the couple of minute range)

It should respond with either
bdi-4.23.iso: OK
or
bdi-4.23.iso:
FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 computed checksum did NOT match

(or similar)

I'm sure you can figure out which is the preferred response :)

- Steve
Stephen Wille Padnos
2005-08-31 20:45:46 UTC
Post by Stephen Wille Padnos
Post by Andy Holcomb
Post by paul_c
Did the md5sum of the download check out ?
Explain more please, how do I check this?
You need to download the md5sum file ( bdi-4.23.md5 ) - preferably to
the same directory where you downloaded the ISO.
md5sum -c bdi-4.23.md5
This will take a little time on your machine (in the couple of minute range)
It should respond with either
bdi-4.23.iso: OK
or
FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 computed checksum did NOT match
(or similar)
I'm sure you can figure out which is the preferred response :)
- Steve
Oops - should have checked my copy/paste work. The error case will be
two messages separated by a carriage return, not separated by the exact
number of spaces needed to look like a carriage return in my mail composer.

- Steve
Dave Engvall
2005-08-31 19:52:43 UTC
Paul,

Did 4.23 acquire a stg driver?

Dave
paul_c
2005-08-31 22:21:29 UTC
Hi Dave
Post by Dave Engvall
Did 4.23 acquire a stg driver?
Nope. However, porting the EMC1 driver over is trivial enough if you wanted
one, alternatively, there is the Vital driver and/or Jon's ppmc drivers.

Regards, Paul.
markwayne
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
However when I checked 4.20 the md5 sum was not in the volume properties like the checker expected. So you had to make a sum of the .iso and check it against the posted one. not a big deal really but you could assume the ISO was bad when it wasnt. So this works with 4.23.? I'll find out later when I try to update.

Mark